Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Friday, July 10, 2009

Cute Book



I have been slow with my project progress lately, hence the inconsistent blogging. I have knit three new pairs of socks but can't post any pictures of them because of the rules listed in the Blue Moon Sock Club. It's hard to spend time on a project and not be able to blog about it. Oh well.

But I wanted to post a quick note about my newest book purchase. B and I had a date night and wandered around Barnes and Noble one night. He went his way and I went mine. Ha ha. I bought this linens book. B's response was, "a whole entire book about kitchen towels?" I guess that is kind of a strange topic. But EllynAnne Geisel wrote The Apron Book so I knew the Linens book would be good.

I don't have any old linens. All of my towels are from Target or PierOne. I love the idea of having a collection of old linens. Like quilts, old linens have a story to tell. Growing up I recall one particular towel my mom used that was embroidered on. I wish I had that towel because I have a memory assiciated with it. I remember my mom draping it on her shoulder while she busied herself around the kitchen.

I don't have any grandmothers who are going to leave me any vintage linens. So, I'm on the hunt for some vintage linens. I am glad I discovered the book just to help me identify the timeperiods. I love the idea that during the Depression, women used flour sacks as towels and embroidered them to make them pretty. We just don't appreciate those little things anymore. Like I said, these linens have a story behind them!

Pin It!

No comments: