Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, September 19, 2013

SHS Book Club: The Smart One

I was a book-reading fiend this summer! I've actually read 11 more books since I read this one, I'm just behind on my reviews. So, forgive me while I crank out some reviews in the coming days.

The Smart One by Jennifer Close is a fun, quick read. I sometimes need a Chick-lit book to read at the pool or while the kids are at swimming lessons. If you are a chick-lit reader, you'll enjoy this book. I'm not even sure how I happened upon it.

One of the main characters, Claire, is a twenty-something single stumbling through her own life experiences and making mistakes as she goes along. Inevitably, her choices cause her to move back home. Claire's sister, Martha, is also going through life trying to deal with her anxieties. Martha has a funny personality. She works at J. Crew and is a size 12 (I don't know why but that is what I remember). Claire and Martha's brother, Max, is in college living with his drop-dead gorgeous girlfriend Cleo. Weezy is the mom and the book is also told from her perspective as she witnesses her kid's life choices. The book bounces back and forth between Claire, Martha, Cleo and Weezy.

My main takeaway from this book is that families and relationships are complex. At times family members make mistakes, annoy each other, get in each other's business, and just complicate life sometimes. But family is also the greatest support system and provides safety--people you can be vulnerable with who love you despite yourself. Families are there to pick you up and dust you off and also celebrate in your joys.

I think this book had more depth than your average chick-lit book but it had some of the chick-lit humor thrown in. Even if you are beyond your twenties, the book still has something in it for you. It will take you back to your twenties and, if you are a mom, will help you see family from an empty nester's perspective too.

The book I read after The Smart One was Look Again by Lisa Scottoline.

Stay tuned for that review. And if you are on Goodreads, follow me at http://www.goodreads.com/sillyhappysweet.

Photobucket

Pin It!

No comments: