Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sunday, November 30, 2014

SHS Bookclub

I'm so behind in my book reviews that I'm going to try to pile on a few each time I do a SHS Bookclub post.

The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer was soooo not interesting. Definitely don't judge a book by its cover. Isnt' this a cool cover? Well the book is not. It is dull and drags on and on and on. It's quite a long book. It's about 6 people who met at camp when they were young. It follows their lives through their middle ages. It's unhopeful, sad, depressing, boring, dull, blah blah blah. I won't drone on. I didn't like it. Sorry Meg. I see she has a new book out. I just can't.

I read American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld and have since read another Sittenfeld book I'll tell you about another time. Great book. The book centers on the lives of Alice and Charlie Blackwell. Charlie Blackwell is a wealthy politician aiming for the highest office. The book is said to be somewhat in line with the history of George and Laura Bush. Many of Alice's life events mirror those of Laura Bush's, including the tragic accident that took place when Laura was seventeen. I love politics. If you don't, this probably isn't the book for you. Curtis Sittenfeld is a really good writer. I highly recommend!

Morning Glory by Sarah Jio is a great book! I gave it three stars on Goodreads. I would have given it more but it is fairly predicable. Despite that, it is a fast read and keeps your interest the entire time. The setting is a house boat community in Seattle. Now I don't know about you but I think that houseboats themselves are pretty interesting. Ada takes residence on the houseboat and discovers an old trunk belonging to a woman who lived on the boat 50 years earlier. Their stories intertwine and that's all I can really say without giving too much away. I love Jio and have liked every single book she's ever written. I will always grab a book of hers without hesitation.

I read Reshaping It All: Motivation for Physical and Spiritual Fitness by Candace Cameron Bure. I gave this book five stars on Goodreads. I think this is a book that every woman over 30 should read. Bure offers amazing biblical perspective into self-control and the ability to have a different perspective about food. If you are like me and have tried different diets and different exercise programs and continue to feel discouraged, you should really read this book. I was able to get so much more out of this book than I ever expected. I have highlighted quite a bit of it and refer back to it when I am discouraged or needing to reset my mind to what God wants me to believe. I'd like my daughter to read this one day in the distant future. It really is a good one!

The Bungalow by Sarah Jio is another great book. I just said above that I like Jio and think she is a consistently solid author. This book is no different. The book partially takes place in 1942 on an island near Bora Bora where Anne Calloway serves as a nurse during the war. The story is very touching and emotional. I don't want to write too much but just know that in typical Jio fashion there is love, loss, redemption, etc.

Ok, those are my reviews for now! I have plenty more. Yes, I'm a reading fiend. Where I find the time, I don't know but if my kids are getting hair cuts, I'm usually buried in a book. I find time when I can. I stick a heavy soap dispenser on my book and read while I blowdry my hair. That is a good 10 minutes I get in. I'm weird like that. If you are on Goodreads, follow me at https://www.goodreads.com/sillyhappysweet. Photobucket

Pin It!

No comments: