Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

SHS Book Club--A Wrinkle in Time

A Wrinkle in Time is a children's classic by Madeleine L'Engle. First published in 1962, the book won the Newbery Medal award and was a runner up for the Hans Christian Andersen award.

I love how the book begins, "It was a dark and stormy night." The book centers around Meg, her younger brother Charles Wallace and their friend, Calvin. The three characters travel through space and time to try to find Charles and Meg's father, who is a prisoner on a planet ruled by IT. You don't have to be a child or even a science fiction lover to become captivated by this book. The characters and situations they encounter are interesting and unique.

The themes of this book are obviously spiritual in nature and L'Engle paraphrases Bible scriptures such as, "We were sent here for something. And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are called according to his purpose." And, "We look not at the things which are what you would call seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary. But the things which are not seen are eternal."

This book was written well before the Harry Potter series. Just as I loved reading Harry Potter, I was completely lost in this book. My favorite character is Charles Wallace who is wise beyond his years. The typical battle between good and evil is strong as you'd expect in a Christian-themed book but the reason I am glad I read as an adult is that the victory of love means so much more because I now have life experiences that help me understand the weight of that victory.

If you are like me and missed reading this book as a child, pick it up and read it--it's a classic with many awards for a good reason.

The next book I'll review is The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. If you are on Goodreads, follow me here.

Photobucket

Pin It!

No comments: